High-Powered Magnet Sets Recalled by Reiss Innovations Due to Ingestion Hazard; Sold Exclusively on Amazon.comDecember 11, 2012
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with the firm named below, recently announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
- Name of Product: High-Powered Magnet desk toy
- Units: About 500
- Importer: Reiss Innovations LLC, of Manchester, Conn.
- Manufacturer: Global Goler Co. Limited, of Guangdong, China
- Hazard: When two or more magnets are swallowed, they can link together inside a child's intestines and clamp onto body tissues, causing intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis and death. Internal injury from magnets can pose serious lifelong health effects.
- Incidents/Injuries: Reiss Innovations has received no reports of incidents or injuries. CPSC has received 80 reports of incidents involving ingestion of other high powered magnets, resulting in 79 reports seeking medical intervention.
- Description: This recall involves high-powered magnet sets sold under the DynoCube.com brand name for use as a novelty item or desk toy. Each set contains 216 small, silver-colored, spherical magnets that are approximately 5 millimeters in diameter.
- Sold exclusively at: Amazon.com/Dynocube.com from July 2011 through April 2012 for about $20.
- Manufactured in: China
- Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled magnet sets immediately and contact Reiss Innovations for instructions on returning the magnet sets for a full refund.
- Consumer Contact: Reiss Innovations; toll-free at (866) 212-8314, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online at www.DynoCube.com and click on the recall button on the top right-hand side of the page for more information.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about your experience with the product on SaferProducts.gov.
The CPSC is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of the thousands of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $900 billion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical or mechanical hazard. CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products—such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals—contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.
Under federal law, it is illegal to attempt to sell or resell this or any other recalled product.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, go online to: SaferProducts.gov, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054 for the hearing and speech impaired. Consumers can obtain this news release and product safety information at www.cpsc.gov. To join a free e-mail subscription list, please go to www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx.