Promo Marketing's Top 10 News Stories of 2012January 9, 2013
2012 was a news-packed year, full of thought-provoking events and big, breaking stories. To recap the big crazy year that was, below are the 10 most popular stories published in our newsletter for 2012.
10. The Fastest-growing Promotional Products Companies Revealed on the 2012 Inc. 5000
The 2012 Inc. 5000 included 37 promotional products suppliers or distributors, up from 26 companies in 2011.
9. On the Ballpoint
The best tips for selling pens from some of the industry's top writing instruments suppliers.
8. FedEx Overcharged Customers for Years, Sealed Email Says
Leaked emails revealed that FedEx Corp. had been "systematically overcharging" customers for years, billing businesses and government offices at higher residential rates.
7. From Tragedy to T-shirts: Trayvon Martin Promotional Products Raise Questions
The untimely death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin raised questions about myriad topics including racism, concealed-weapon laws, media bias, neighborhood watch organizations and, now, promotional products.
6. USPS Accused of Offering Preferential Contract to Direct Mail Distributor
As if 2012 wasn't a tough enough year for the USPS already, the organization found itself in hot water for offering deep discounts to one of the world's largest direct-mail companies.
5. The Softer Side of T-shirts
2012's T-shirt style and fabrication trends.
4. Obama Campaign Refiles Lawsuit Against Washington Promotions & Printing
President Obama's re-election campaign's attempt to stop a promotional products website from illegally using the campaign's logos.
3. Olympic Swag Bags & Freebies: Why Every U.S. Athlete Came Home A Winner
American athletes were very successful at the London 2012 Olympic Games, bringing home 46 Gold Medals. But what most viewers did not realize was that every single one of the 529 athletes representing Team USA brought home gold—along with thousands of dollars' worth of other freebies.