How to Rock Your Referrals
In the world of sales, referrals are your secret weapon, as they give you instant credibility. Referrals are the fastest and easiest way to grow your sales, because referral sales close at a much higher rate than any other prospecting method.
Want more referrals? Who doesn’t these days? Follow these easy tips to an endless stream of referral business.
- Look to Your Current Clients. Your current clients are your best source of referrals and new business. If you’re doing a good job they’ll want to refer business to you. The best time to ask is always when they’re very pleased with an order. Be specific about who you would like to meet. Just saying we appreciate your referrals doesn’t work nearly as well as asking to be introduced to a specific person. The more specific you are, the easier it will be for them to refer you. For example, if you’re doing business with the marketing director, ask if your contact can help you with an introduction to the head of HR or the Safety director.
- Mine Your Contacts. We all know approximately 250 people. Those people know people they can refer to you. One savvy and motivated promotional professional sent postcards to all the people on his contact list asking for the name of just one potential referral. He also followed up and asked if they would be willing to make an introductory call. This powerful, but easy tactic was the start of his burgeoning promotional business.
- Form Your Own Referral Network. Who serves the same target market but is not a direct competitor? Printers, meeting planners, graphic designers and trade show display companies can make great referral partners for promotional products sales professionals.
- Create a Gift for Referral Program. Thank all your referral sources with a small promotional gift. Contact your favorite suppliers to see what items would most appeal to your referral sources. This is a great strategy because you’re modeling for your clients a strategy they can use to get more referrals and you can get more business.
- Give More Referrals. Take the time to ask all your current clients and contacts, who would be a good referral for them? When you reach out to help others the favor will be returned.
I would like to hear from you. What have you done to encourage more referrals in your own promotional products business? What’s working best?
Want expert help growing your promotional products sales? This week, I’m presenting a FREE Webinar on Thursday 1/24 at 2:00 pm ET, Online Search Secrets that Get Results and Get Business. If you’re wondering how to get qualified leads these days (without buying expensive lists) and connect with them and get more business, don’t miss this opportunity. Sign up here.