American Chemistry Council Launches Product Safety Campaign with Responsible Care Code
The American Chemistry Council (ACC) and its members recently launched a new Responsible Care Product Safety Code. Based on existing industry best practices, the Product Safety Code goes above and beyond regulatory requirements to manage the safety of chemicals in products that consumers rely on every day.
The announcement comes as ACC marks the 25th anniversary of Responsible Care, an industry environmental, health, safety and security performance initiative focused on the safe, responsible, sustainable management of chemicals. Participation in Responsible Care is a condition of ACC membership.
Making safe, innovative products has been and continues to be a core value for the chemical industry," said Cal Dooley, president and CEO of the ACC. "The Product Safety Code champions transparency, accountability and science-based product development and improvement, to give consumers added confidence in the safety of the products they use every day."
Under the Product Safety Code, each ACC member makes a public pledge to implement 11 industry best practices to evaluate and continuously improve their product safety performance. Adherence to these practices will be mandatory and regularly verified by independent auditors. The Product Safety Code requires companies to:
- Manage the safety of their products, from inception to use, reuse, recycling and disposal.
- Undertake scientific analyses of their products, with close consideration of how they are used by all consumers, especially children.
- Provide public access to product safety information.
- Share information along the supply chain so that products can be safely used.
- Continuously evaluate new information that may have product safety implications.
- Take corrective measures if they discover improper practices involving a product.
The public needs to know the products they rely on every day are safe. As we commemorate 25 years of Responsible Care, we renew our commitment to the safety and integrity of our products," said Sven Royall, chair of the ACC board committee on responsible care and vice president of global intermediates at Shell Chemicals. "Under the Product Safety Code, our industry takes an important next step in creating a comprehensive set of practices to which we will not only subscribe, but also confirm our adherence through third-party validation."