CPSC Recalls 55,000 Phone Chargers for Fire Hazard
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) yesterday announced the recall of about 55,000 USB phone chargers imported by Tectron International, Vernon, Calif. The 3-in-1 charging cable was involved in two overheating incidents and poses a fire hazard, CPSC said, though no injuries were reported.
CPSC's recall notice listed several affected distributors. The chargers were primarily sold at school fundraisers from July 2014 to August 2014.
The item features a 10 foot cord with a USB plug on one end. The two overheating incidents resulted in the plastic casing of the USB charger melting, though no property damage was reported.
Tectron International is offering a refund, and recommends that consumers immediately stop using the charger. This only applies to products dated between May and August of 2014.
For more information, visit the CPSC's recall notice.