CPSC Warns Parents to Keep Fidget Spinners Away From Young Children
After a child in Texas swallowed a piece of a fidget spinner and required medical attention, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is warning parents of the toy's potential danger.
"CPSC is investigating the incidents with kids swallowing fidget spinners in Texas and Oregon," the agency wrote in a statement to ABC News. "We advise parents to keep these away from young children because they can choke on small parts. Warn older children not to put fidget spinners in their mouths."
In addition to the Texas case, a 5-year-old boy in Oregon also swallowed a part of the toy and choked, which required a rush trip to the hospital.
While the CPSC is not banning fidget spinners, it is important to stay updated on the latest regulations concerning the toy. Learning Express Toys, a company that sells fidget spinners in stores, told ABC News that they are taking proactive steps to reduce the danger of fidget spinners.
"Spinners are marked as a choking hazard containing small parts," Learning Express said. "However, we will also be placing signs in our stores to make sure parents are aware that spinners are a potential choking hazard. As with any toy, parents must choose age-appropriate toys and use caution if their child has a tendency to put things in their mouth."
Between the choking incidents and school bans, these toys are beginning to get a bad reputation. For those promotional suppliers and distributors, perhaps consider tailoring your fidget spinner promotions to older audiences for now. However, it doesn't look like these safety concerns are putting a stop to the craze any time soon.