Electronic Fidget Spinner Charging in Car Causes Vehicle Fire
A car was left scorched in Harrisburg, Pa., after an electronic fidget spinner burst into flames while it was charging inside it.
The fidget spinner, which doubled as a Bluetooth speaker, was left on the passenger seat of the car when it combusted. The owner of the vehicle was able to extinguish most of the fire, according to ABC News, and luckily no one was injured.
Last year, the CPSC issued a statement regarding fidget spinner safety, primarily warning users about the choking hazard some of the items' small parts create, but it also mentioned some risks associated with electronic versions.
For example, the CPSC wrote the following:
- Consumers should be present when products with batteries are charging.
- Never charge a product with batteries overnight while you are sleeping.
- Always use the cable that came with the fidget spinner for charging.
- If the fidget spinner did not come with one, make sure to use a cable with the correct connections for charging.
- Unplug your fidget spinner immediately once it is fully charged.
- Have working smoke alarms in your house to protect you if there is a fire.
It's reminiscent of the fire started by a hoverboard that ended up killing two children, coincidentally also in Harrisburg. Electronic devices shouldn't be left to charge once the battery is full, and it's vital to remember that all chargers are not interchangeable, as different products have different limitations for units of electricity.
The incident and others like it serve as a reminder that responsible sourcing is hugely important, especially for promotional electronics. It's always a smart to idea to work with trusted suppliers that participate in industry compliance programs and offer safety certifications for their tech items.