Meijer to Pay $2 Million Penalty for Distributing Recalled Products
A grocery/discount store chain with more than 200 locations in the Midwest has agreed to pay a $2 million civil penalty for distributing recalled products, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced last week. The CPSC alleged that Meijer, Grand Rapids, Mich., knowingly sold and distributed 12 different recalled products.
Meijer allegedly distributed the products through its reverse logistics system that it operated through a third-party contractor and failed to prevent the distribution after learning about the recalls. Therefore between April 2010 and 2011 the CPSC believes 1,692 products were sold to consumers. Meijer did not admit to or deny the charges, noting that it thought its third-party contractor had "adequate safeguards … in place to prevent recalled products from being distributed into commerce,' according to the agreement, Meijer added that "any distribution of the recalled products was inadvertent and occurred without Meijer's knowledge."
In addition to the monetary penalty, Meijer has agreed to implement and maintain a program designed to ensure Meijer does not distribute recalled products in the future.
The products resold include:
- 50 Discovery Kids Animated Marine and Safari Lamps imported by Innovage LLC
- 6 SlingRider Baby Slings manufactured by Infantino
- 93 Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaners with Cord Rewind Feature imported by Hoover Inc.
- 114 Fisher-Price Trikes and Tough Trikes toddler tricycles manufactured by Fisher-Price
- 69 Fisher-Price Little People Wheelies Stand ‘n Play Rampways imported by Fisher-Price
- 27 Ocean Wonders Kick & Crawl Aquariums imported by Fisher-Price
- 136 Bathtub Subs imported by Munchkin Inc.
- 17 Refreshing Rings Infant Teethers/Rattles imported by Sassy
- 1,173 Touch Point Oscillating Ceramic Heaters manufactured by Ningbo Dongji Electronic Tech Co. LTC
- 1 Harmony High Chair manufactured by Graco Children’s Products
- 1 Random Orbit Sander manufactured by Black & Decker
- 5 Box Fans manufactured by Lasko
For more information, visit www.cpsc.gov.