PPAI’s Bob McLean Assumes IAEE And CEIR Board Leadership Roles
Promotional Products Association International (PPAI), Irving, Texas, has announced the selection of PPAI’s executive vice president, Robert “Bob” McLean, CPA, CAE, as chair-elect of the International Association of Exhibitions and Events (IAEE) and the 2019 Center for Exhibition Industry Research (CEIR) chair of the board. McLean’s selection was announced at Expo! Expo!, IAEE’s annual meeting last week in New Orleans.
"CEIR provides invaluable research to guide participants in the tradeshow industry,” McLean said. “From research on attendee retention and the changing environment of the tradeshow industry to the annual CEIR index, CEIR provides useful tools to help the industry and its members grow. I am honored to be the chairperson of such an important organization and look forward to working with its dedicated staff and board members.”
McLean is responsible for PPAI's tradeshows, membership, information technology, finance and administration, as well as the Promotional Products Education Foundation (PPEF).
Before joining PPAI, McLean was the chief financial officer and chief operating officer of QI Systems Inc., a publicly-traded designer and manufacturer of smart card systems for unattended payment devices to be used on vending machines, parking meters and laundry machines. While at QI, he was responsible for the company’s SEC reporting and accounting, and oversaw the engineering and operations in its Vancouver facility. Before joining QI, he was executive vice president of business development and global account management for Teleplan International of the Netherlands, a $300M publicly traded technology company. His major customers included Microsoft, IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Gateway Computers. Prior to his appointment as executive vice president of Teleplan, McLean served as the treasurer of Teleplan's Americas operations. Before that, he was senior vice president of finance and administration and chief financial officer with PC Service Source of Dallas, a publicly-traded independent computer parts distributor and repair services company. He started his career with Price Waterhouse in Miami.
McLean has a Bachelor of Science in accounting from Drexel University in Philadelphia and a Master of Business Administration in finance from the University of Miami. He is a member of the American and Florida Institutes of Certified Public Accountants and the American Society of Association Executives.
The IAEE is the world’s largest association for the exhibitions and events industry, with a membership of show organizers, exhibitors and exhibition suppliers. CEIR provides research on the North American exhibitions and events industry globally, which optimizes performance, increases engagement and addresses emerging customer needs.
The 2019 officers of the CEIR board of directors are:
- Chairman: Robert “Bob” McLean, CPA, CAE, executive vice president, PPAI
- Secretary/Treasurer: Carrie Ferenac, president, CNTV (Convention News Television)
- Immediate Past Chair: Thomas A. Cindric, Jr., CEM, senior vice president, Informa Global Exhibitions, Infrastructure Events
Additionally, CEIR announced new and returning members to the board of directors:
- Antonio Manuel Brito, CEM, CMP, CEO, NewEvents
- Marie Browne, group vice president, LaunchPad, Reed Exhibitions
- Julie Coker Graham, president and CEO, Philadelphia CVB (SMG)
- Chuck Grouzard, executive vice president of exhibition sales, GES
- Kimberly Hardcastle-Geddes, president and chief account strategist, mdg
- Buffy Levy, director of event services, SmithBucklin Corporation
- Tim McGuinness, staff vice president of global expositions, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Daniel McKinnon, CEM, vice president of client solutions, Global, Freeman
- Justine L. McVaney, senior vice president of event planning and operations, National Association of Broadcasters
- Yulita Osuba, deputy director, Orange County Convention Center
- Janet Sperstad, program director of meeting and event management, Madison College
- Dennis Smith, president and CEO, Messe Frankfurt North America
- CEIR Research Council Representative: Ian Sequeira, executive vice president of research and measurement, Exhibit Surveys Inc.
For more information on PPAI, visit www.ppai.org.