Another Samsung Phone Explodes in Man's Pocket
Samsung seems to have recovered from the PR nightmare caused by batteries in the Galaxy Note 7 overheating and catching fire. It was so bad that airlines forbade passengers from bringing them onto the plane, Samsung offered a recall and it brought into question the safety of the company's lithium ion batteries.
Last week, a Samsung Grand Duos smartphone exploded in a man's pocket in Indonesia, setting his shirt on fire.
A video captured by CCTV at a hotel showed the man reach for his phone in his breast pocket when it suddenly lit up in bright flames. He managed to get to the floor and remove the shirt, but suffered minor burns.
Samsung responded by offering its apologies and well-wishes for the customer, but maintained that it wasn't its fault.
"From a thorough investigation, we have found that the battery used in the device was not manufactured by Samsung or a company authorized by Samsung," a Samsung spokesperson told CNET. "We sincerely wish for our customer's swift recovery, and strongly recommend all our customers to use Samsung's genuine or approved batteries that have been specifically designed for use in Samsung products."
Related story: Headphones Explode Mid-Flight, Injure Australian Woman
Brendan Menapace is the senior digital editor for Promo Marketing. While writing and editing stories come naturally to him, writing his own bio does not.