One Size Doesn’t Fit All: Tips for Distributors on Creating a Personalized Client Experience
Let’s imagine you go to the doctor for a sore throat. You sit down to discuss your symptoms, but the doctor doesn’t ask about your symptoms. Instead, she lists every ailment she knows without asking you any questions. It makes you feel unimportant. It makes you feel like your needs are irrelevant.
It’s the same for a distributor/millennial relationship. It’s important for you to provide your millennial customer with a personalized experience—one that is tailored to finding the best solution for their needs. You want to make them feel like they are your most important customer. It’s how millennials respond best to marketing and sales pitches, and will help you stand out as a distributor that emphasizes strong relationships.
Step 1: The first step starts with a few simple questions. Questions may change according to your customer, but these basic questions should be asked each time:
- What is your customer’s budget?
- Do they have a specific item in mind?
- What does the customer hope to achieve with the promo item? Is it a self-promo? Marketing tool? A gifting solution?
- What is their in-hands date or event date?
Step 2: Once you have your answers, the next step is reaching out to your supplier, who can provide you with a variety of resources. Below are a few ways to create a personalized experience for your millennial customer.
- Pitch curated products using customized flyers or digital mockups with your customer’s logo so they can see first-hand how their brand will look on a variety of items.
- If your supplier provides free samples, put together a customized sample kit so they can touch and feel the products. Bonus points for a personalized note that includes why you think each product fits their goals.
- Product demo videos are also a great resource to include, showing how a promo item looks, works, and how the item can be used.
With these simple but crucial steps, you will strengthen your millennial customer relationships and create a customer for life, not a one-time buyer.