Have a Conversation
- Learn about the person before you first meet them. Google them. Look them up on LinkedIn. Don't be a stalker but find some good starting points for a conversation.
- Ask questions that pertain to them, to their favorite activities, to their best moments at work, to the accomplishments that they are most proud of. Move the questions around areas of their work or business where you may find places to serve.
- Practice active listening with eye contact, by paraphrasing and asking clarifying questions.
- Fear not the silence. If there is a lull, try to add to their point and share something personal and then ask another question.
- Be respectful of their time. Try to wrap it up if the conversation is not productive for both of you. But remember the feeling you leave them with is your most important leave behind.