How Many Channels Are YOU Using?
So what's a marketer to do?
You need to MAKE time to be where your buyers are. Yes, in the traditional media (some buyers are still using those). But many others are looking to CONNECT with you on SOCIAL MEDIA. Facebook, Twitter. Pinterest. Instagram. It doesn't take long once you're up and running (and know the basics). You just have to make a plan, create the content and launch it. It takes less than an hour a day to do it right. But WHAT you post is critical. And make sure you don't just PROMOTE. You need to provide the type of content they want, or buyers will shut you down.
Social media buyers are looking for five things:
- Special offers and insider advantages (before the masses hear about them.) These should be priced at suggested retail so your customers can share the specials with their end users.
- Sales and business tips to help them grow and profit more.
- Informative content they can pass along (trends, factoids, history, how-it's-made snippets) that is immediately sharable on THEIR sites (written for the end buyer)
- Behind the scenes peeks at your company - personal news, what's happening, milestones, so they are more connected to you.
- Chances to engage with you... ask them questions, take a poll, have a contest, ask their opinion (but please respond when necessary and share the results)
Remember: They're inviting you into THEIR world. Not the other way around. If they block you, you're done. So give them what they want and you'll have followers just as captive as this Baby Boomer is to the series "Impractical Jokers." Hilarious!
Best of luck in being more "Social."
Mary Ellen Sokalski, MAS