Should You Offer Guarantees?
One of the biggest challenges in the promotional products industry is how to differentiate what you offer from all your competitors. After all, you don't want to be viewed as just another "me too" promotional products business! And, you certainly don't want to be viewed as a commodity seller!
Here's a novel idea: provide guarantees. In the business world this is called risk-reversal.
But... how can you guarantee promotional products orders? Here are some suggestions:
- You can guarantee that you only work with the highest-rated suppliers in the industry and that you have carefully screened them for quality and service.
- You can guarantee that you will meet or exceed the event date or the shipping is free. I know of one supplier that makes this guarantee. Ask your suppliers if they offer this service. This is a tricky one. If your supplier offers this, let your customers know.
- You can guarantee that the product your customer receives will directly match the pre-production proof provided. We're in a custom business. Providing a pre-production proof on all new orders makes sense. Check with your favorite suppliers. Ask them what their proof-matching guarantee is.
- You can guarantee the product will get their company noticed and keep their company name in front of their best prospects. Isn't that the implied promise of many of our orders?
- You can guarantee that you will track and follow the order and provide complete order status information on a weekly basis. Providing this type of information gives your customer peace of mind.
- You can guarantee that you will personally make your customer's order your highest priority.
Many of you are already doing these things, so why not put the guarantees in writing and send it with your next proposal? Providing written and verbal guarantees with your work may be what separates you from your competitors and closes your next big order!